Sligo Yacht Club
Sligo Yacht Club is located in Rosses Point on the edge of Sligo Bay and is one of the most ideal and beautiful locations for inshore racing in the country.
The original Sligo Yacht Club was founded in 1821 and did most of its racing on Lough Gill. Records show that the club was not active since the end of the 19th Century and was completely disbanded at the turn of the century. However, despite the non existence of a sailing club, Sligo had an excellent maritime history and there were several sailing craft on Lough Gill and Sligo Bay.
In 1965, six enthusiastic sailors got together to build G.P.14 class dinghies and these sailors formed the nucleus of the reactivated Sligo Yacht Club. Racing in G.P.14's took place in spring and autumn on Lough Gill, and during the summer months Sligo Bay was the venue for club racing. In the early 70's, Sligo Yacht Club commenced building the present Club house which was formally opened by the late President Childers on 14th September 1973.
In the last few years the Clubhouse has been extended and in 1987, the America's Cup Bar was added. Sligo Yacht Club has a healthy fleet of some 40 G.P.14's, 30 Mirrors, Laser Pico's, Laser's and an ever increasing Cruiser Class. Racing for Cruisers takes place on Wednesday and Fridays. The G.P.14's race on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays while the Mirrors take to the water every day of the week during the summer holidays. The Club has a very enthusiastic Junior section and each year there is a well attended Junior Sail Training Course run under the auspices of the Irish Sailing Association. Introductory sailing for adults occurs early each spring and during the summer.
Running championships at National, European, and even World level does not present problems for Sligo Yacht Club. Sligo has a reputation for hosting major championships with a professionalism that is famous in sailing circles. The Club provides a 'happy mix' of excellent racing facilities backed up by a social programme that makes it one of the top clubs in the country.
Sligo Yacht Club hosted the Enterprise World Championships in 1979. In 1977 and again in 1980, the Scorpion Class held their European Championship in Sligo. The I.D.R.A 14 Dinghy Class National Championships were hosted by Sligo in 1976, 1978, 1982 and 1983. The Club also hosted two very successful Dinghy Weeks in 1978 and again in 1983.
Mirror Week incorporating Junior and Senior National Championships was first hosted by Sligo in 1974, ten years later in 1984, in 1999 and again in 2003. In 1987, the Mirror World Championships took place in Sligo. In 2008, the Mirror European Championships will be held in Sligo.
Mullaghmore Sailing Club
Active dinghy sailing occurs in sheltered waters from April to October. Dinghy racing takes place on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. The following dinghy classes in particular are encouraged: Optimist, Topper, Topaz, 420 and Laser.
Lough Erne Yacht Club
Lough Erne Yacht Club now occupies a former WW2 RAF site built in 1941 for Catalina Flying boats. Boasting up to date facilities Lough Erne Yacht Club endeavors to meet the needs of all its members and their guests. The club is located on Lower Lough Erne, Co Fermanagh about 6 miles north of Enniskillen just off the main Enniskillen-Kesh-Belleek Road. Winter 1940 brought flying boats to Gublusk Bay. RAF Stranraer had been set up in August, but Lough Erne was over a hundred miles closer to the mid-Atlantic, where air cover was urgently needed by convoys under attack from U-boats.
Irish Sailing Association
The Irish Sailing Association is the national governing body for sailing in Ireland. As national governing body, the ISA promotes high standards and co-ordinates activities in competitive and leisure sailing in Ireland.