OUR SURF SCHOOL
Learn to surf with TurfnSurf in Bundoran, the Surf Capital of Ireland. Ride a wave in the Atlantic Ocean, experience the great outdoors, meet great people and have a great time.
Can anyone learn to surf?
Yes! Most people can learn to surf. If you want to do it we can show you how. You do not need to be an expert in the water. All you need is to have a sense of adventure and a basic level of fitness and swimming ability.
Our surf lessons are all done by trained instructors, with beach lifeguard qualifications and lessons take place in a safe environment. Our instructors’ aim is to tailor the lesson to the participants’ abilities, keep you safe and make sure you have fun.
Where do surf lessons take place?
Surf lessons take place on various beaches in the local area including; Tullan Strand, Bundoran Main Beach, Rossnowlagh, Strandhill and Mullaghmore.
Where lessons take place depends on the local weather and swell conditions. We provide transport to and from the beaches in our 4X4 Land Rovers.
What do I need to bring?
All equipment for your activity is provided and tailored to the weather conditions – surfboards (soft boards for beginners), wetsuits, gloves, boots and hoods. All you need to bring is a towel and a swimsuit.
What happens on the day?
- Gather at the lodge & meet your instructor(s)
- They’ll size you for wetsuits & other equipment
- You can then change in changing rooms at the Lodge
- Transport from the Lodge to the beach in one of our 4X4 Land Rover
- On the beach your instructor(s) will do a land drill. This means going through the main points of surfing (about 15 mins)
- Next into the water for about 1.5 to 2 hours learning to surf with hands on tuition from your instructor(s)
- Ratio of students to instructor is 8 to 1
- Out of the water, into the Land Rovers and then back to the Lodge
- Change out of your wetsuit in our changing rooms at the Lodge
- Tea, coffee & biscuits back in the dining room at the Lodge
Do you want to Rent a Surfboard & gear?
We can rent soft and hard boards along with wetsuits and other surfing equipment. Rentals must be agreed with one of our qualified surf instructors.
When you come in to rent gear our instructors will have to satisfy themselves that you are able to surf and will ask you a few questions.
We will also recommend the best location for surfing depending on your ability.
TurfnSurf is an Irish Surfing Association (ISA) accredited surf school. All our instructors are also qualified under the ISA and are experienced in the water holding beach lifeguards qualifications.
Killian O’Kelly is the proprietor of TurfnSurf Surf School. He grew up in Bundoran and has surfed since the age of 16 years old. He has years of surfing and life guarding experience both in the local area and overseas.
TurfnSurf is a fully insured surf school. We pride ourselves in providing the highest standard surf lessons; choosing the safest locations for all lessons.
What about the weather?
Surfing can take place in a whole range of conditions – it can be sun, rain or hail and you can still surf. However, there are times when we cannot go surfing.
Lessons may be cancelled if conditions are considered dangerous by our instructors and/or Killian. We will make this decision on the morning of each activity. We endeavour to always provide the activity but we may cancel because of weather conditions. This is for your safety and to ensure you enjoy your activity.
- Single Surf Lesson - €35 per person
- Intermediate surf lesson - €45 per person
- Surf Gear Rental - €20 surfboard & wetsuit (for the day)
- 1 Junior surf lessons (U16) - €25 per child
3 Junior surf lessons (U16) - €70